Drug ARM is only able to deliver many of our mental health services thanks to the great work from our students, peer support workers and volunteers.
By volunteering with Drug ARM's mental health services you will:
- raise awareness of and reduce stigma associated with mental health issues in the community
- support individuals on their journey of recovery or support the loved ones of those who are experiencing mental distress
- challenge yourself
- receive training in delivering brief interventions
- experience ehealth service delivery, a rapid area of growth in human services
- gain experience in a number of roles
- be part of a friendly and supportive team
We take the quality of the services we deliver very seriously. You will be required to participate in an interview, and if successful, complete training with a small cost associated. We also require that you participate in clinical supervision, as we owe it to the individuals and the community to question and reflect on our own and others' practice.
To ensure individuals accessing our service are able to regularly see the same volunteer, we require volunteers to commit to working with us for a minimum of six months.
Duties may include:
- Handling enquiries – phone, email and face to face
- Developing and updating policies and procedures
- Identifying individuals' needs and giving them appropriate referral options
- Brief counselling
- Undertake initial and follow up assessments using appropriate screening tools
- Undertake case formulation and treatment plans
- Crisis intervention and suicide prevention strategies
- Writing up of case notes
- Debriefing after individual sessions
- Undertake at least one hour per week of clinical supervision
- Attend internal professional development opportunities
- Facilitate team meetings and take minutes
- Provide a presentation to the team and conduct group activities
- Attend community networking events as instructed by the team leader
- Undertake reception and administration duties
- Update our database and enter data into the computer
For more information on volunteering opportunities please contact us.